I remember the early part of my healing journey.
It was when I was first getting help for being sexually abused.
The feelings were overwhelming:
- The tightness in my throat.
- The pressure in my chest.
- The tears that flowed like a waterfall.
It could have been a heart attack.
But it wasn’t.
It was feelings.
Feelings that I had repressed for years.
It seemed they bubbled up uninvited.
It seemed they would incapacitate me.
I thought the painful feelings would never end.
I thought I wouldn’t be able to hold it together.
I thought I wouldn’t be able to function.
I was wrong.
Ignoring feelings is common for people.
Often my clients tell me they don’t know how they feel.
They struggle against their own selves to allow the feelings to come.
They are afraid to feel.
This is normal.
Once they begin to allow their feelings, they are surprised that:
- They don’t sink into a deep depression.
- They can let their feelings ebb and flow.
- They can hold it together.
- They can function.
- They get insights into their thoughts.
Yes, you read that correctly.
They get insights that had previously been unavailable to them.
It was the same for me during my healing journey.
It is the same for all human beings.
That’s because feelings are the GPS to our thoughts.
We were given feelings for a reason.
We are not supposed to only feel happy or positive feelings.
In order to fully:
- Be in touch with yourself.
- Gain insight.
- Discover what has you stuck and is holding you back.
You must allow yourself to experience the full range of feelings.
The positive and the negative.
I want to be clear.
I am not saying react to the full range of feelings.
I am saying experience the full range of feelings.
When you allow yourself to experience all feelings,
You don’t stop functioning.
On the contrary, you function in a space of heightened awareness.
That’s because feelings guide us to a deeper understanding of ourselves.
Feelings are caused by our thoughts.
Your thoughts create your future.
You must first think it before you can do it.
But if you are unaware of negative or disempowering thoughts …
You will be blocked from creating the thoughts that create the life you want.
When you allow yourself to feel, you gain access to the thoughts that sabotage you.
I encourage you to be brave and allow yourself to experience all feelings.
You can do that by setting aside time each day to ask yourself:
- What are you experiencing in your body? Tight chest, closed throat, knot in your stomach, headache, etc.
- Where in your body are you feeling this?
- What color is this feeling?
- Is the feeling hard or soft?
- Is the feeling fast or slow?
- How does the feeling make you want to react?
- Why are you feeling this way?
- What thought is causing this feeling?
Just ask and answer the questions without judgment.
The goal is to begin to get in touch with your feelings.
To allow yourself to experience all and any feelings.
To learn to trust that all feelings ebb and flow.
Even negative feelings will pass.
If you would like help getting in touch with your feelings, just click: Schedule My Free Consultation With Cindy
I will help you!