Today on the news I heard a survivor of sexual abuse say:
- The predator got off because he killed himself.
- But it would always be a part of her.
I’ve been wondering what she meant.
Clearly, events (good or bad) that involve us are always a part of us.
Still, I wonder what she meant.
What would always be a part of her?
- The event of her sexual abuse?
- Her feelings about the abuse?
- Her thoughts about the abuse?
- The effects of the abuse on her life?
Because I can’t ask her, I have no way of knowing.
Here is what I do know:
We can’t stop terrible things from happening.
But we can choose how those events affect our:
I am not saying to pretend that terrible things don’t happen.
They do happen.
I am not saying it is ok that bad things happen.
I am saying we can choose to:
- Live as an emotional victim of terrible events, or
- To overcome the emotional pain of terrible events.
I want to be clear.
I am not suggesting overcoming terrible events is easy.
It is not.
It takes work.
However, I am saying you can:
- Take back your life.
- Stop past events from negatively influence the rest of your life.
When trauma or abuse happens to you,
You are left with 6 parts:
- What happened.
- What you are telling yourself happened.
- What your thoughts are about what happened.
- What your feelings are about what happened.
- How you feel about yourself because of what happened.
- How you think about yourself and your life because of what happened.
I know it may seem like those 6 parts are the same.
But they are not.
However, they often get tangled up in our brains.
It is that tangle of:
That keep affecting your present and future life.
When you can untangle that you have access to:
- Take back your power
- Create the life you want
- Find peace, self-love, self-worth, and acceptance
You can finally leave your past in the past, and
Move forward to the life you want.
It is not an easy journey.
But it is a journey worth taking.
As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and,
A Certified Life Coach,
It is a journey I know well.
Which is why I am here to help you.
Just click: Schedule My Free Consultation With Cindy