You often read where I have said:
- Adults can say and do anything they want.
- You cannot cause others’ thoughts, feelings or actions.
This might lead you to think:
It’s OK to say and do anything you want.
That would be an incorrect conclusion.
Yes, of course as an adult you can say and do anything you want.
But before you do, I want you to consider:
- Your feelings are caused by a thought or thoughts you are thinking.
- Those feelings cause you to act in certain ways.
- To do or not do things.
- Those actions or inactions give you the results in your life.
So, before you:
- Let your anger fly
- Quit your job
- Get drunk
- Buy that thing that isn’t in your budget
I want you to ask yourself:
- Will this create the long term result I want?
- Am I taking responsibility for my thoughts that cause me to want to feel and act this way?
- Am I blaming others or making them wrong?
- Will I regret this later?
- What consequences will I have to deal with?
You see personal responsibility and emotional maturity works for all of us.
Other’s are responsible for their thoughts, feelings, and actions.
And you are responsible for your thoughts, feelings, and actions.
It is so easy when we are triggered to just let it fly without thinking.
But that won’t give you the long term results you desire.
It is also important to remember:
There are consequences for what you say and do.
As an adult, you can say and do anything you want …
But you may not like the consequences or the long-term results.
So, before you say and do anything you want to:
- Take a deep breath
- Take responsibility for your feelings and actions.
- Figure out what thought or thoughts are causing those feelings and actions.
- Take responsibility in the moment for the long term result you are about to create.
If you would like help with your in the moment behavior, just click: Schedule My Consultation With Cindy
I will help you!