This past week my hubby and I were on vacation.
We spent a week “sailing” on Lake Pend Oreille.
I put “sailing” in quotes because 8 of 10 days there wasn’t any wind.
Not only that but:
- The new traveler lines we ordered were too short and unusable.
- The company we order traveler parts from did not replace the worn wheels.
- The shive in the main halyard guide stopped working.
- Mice infested 2 of the areas we wanted to visit causing a change in plans.
- A big storm rolled in at 1am Tuesday while we were on a mooring ball making sleep impossible.
- Our electric plug was not compatible with the marine in Hope where we visited.
- The marina’s pump out would not work on our porta potty.
- Our porta potty waste tank had a seam that came apart and began to leak waste – yuck!
Our vacation was NOT looking how I had imagined it.
It was not meeting my expectations.
I was unhappy.
Then on Saturday …
The perfect wind came up.
We sailed for 3 hours in 10-14 knots of wind.
We were heeled over 35-45 degrees.
We were flying.
It was marvelous!
In three hours all my unhappiness disappeared.
Why was I unhappy and then happy?
This is a great question to ask yourself about your life.
Often clients tell me:
- It doesn’t look like I wanted it to look.
- It isn’t what I expected.
- It wasn’t how I planned it.
Here is the thing.
It isn’t about our expectations or how we want it to look.
It is never about that.
It is always about the desired result or end goal.
The reason I went from unhappy to happy was because:
My desired result was met.
My desired result for the vacation was to sail.
On Saturday we sailed.
It is also important to note that I was unhappy because of my thinking.
I was putting too much negative thought into what wasn’t meeting my expectations.
I wasn’t focusing on:
- Sleeping to the gentle rocking of the boat (expect for that one night).
- Waking up without an alarm clock.
- Time alone with my husband.
- Delicious gourmet dinners at a floating restaurant in Hope.
- The beautiful scenery and sunsets.
- How well our boat kept us safe in the storm.
So often we only look for and find what isn’t meeting our expectations.
We get caught in how it happened in a way we didn’t imagine.
We lose sight of our end goal/result.
Here is the lesson:
As you move through life towards your goals.
- Stop focusing on the how.
- Remember the how is never in your control, so let it go.
- Focus on the end goal/result.
- Focus on the thoughts that will create the feelings and actions to reach that goal.
- When the how shows up different than imagine, ask to see if you are still on track for your goal.
- If the answer is yes, let go of the how and keep going.
- If the answer is no, check your thoughts, feelings and actions (not the how).
If you would like help refocusing to achieve your goals, just click: Schedule My Consultation With Cindy
I will help you!