Yesterday at a trade show many people asked me: “What is Mindset Coaching?” Great question! When you think about Mindset Coaching think about your mental health and well-being. Not mental illness. Just the health and well-being of your thoughts. Consider how you think about things (your opinions, judgements and beliefs). Notice how your feelings, motivation and actions change throughout the day. Most people believe it is what happens to them throughout a day that cause them to feel a certain way. Example: A driver cuts you off in traffic and you become irritated. You are frustrated because you pick up the extra work at your job when a co-worker is slacking off. You find yourself wondering when the boss is finally going to wake up a deal with that co-worker. You set goal to lose weight, pay off debt, start a business or new career, but somewhere along the way it was harder than you imagined, and you find your self procrastinating or even giving up. Guess what? The irritation, frustration, wondering, procrastination and giving up are not caused by what is happening to you or how difficult something is. It is caused by your thoughts about what is happening to you or your thoughts about how difficult something is. The phrase: “Change your thoughts, change your world” is true.
Changing your thoughts is so much more than positive thinking. In fact, positive thinking by itself doesn’t work. You may have experienced this when you tried to make change in your life or tried to reach a goal. When things get tough on the way to your goal you may have had people tell you: “Just think positive.” “The way out of …. is to just take action.” Secretly inside yourself you may have been thinking: “But I am thinking positive. I am taking action … but nothing is working. It must just be me. It works for everyone else, but not for me. I guess I’m just not ready. I guess I don’t really want it.” Etc, etc, etc. Wrong!
It’s not just you! It can work for you! You are ready! You do want it! The only thing standing between you and your goals is your thinking. Believe it or not this is true for all humans. You think you are the only one struggling because most people don’t show you their true self. They show you what they want you to see.
In working with my clients, I have learned that all of us have doubts and fears that run in the back of our minds. All of us want that great career, the satisfyingly connected relationship with someone special, time with our kids, money to create memories with those we love. I have also learned that it is more common than not that most of us get stuck, stopped, discouraged, frustrated and sometimes even give up on what we want.
The transformations I see in my clients when they are coached on how to deal with their thinking is beyond amazing! They find out they love their work. They go for that new career. They successfully grow their business. They connect deeply with their loved ones. They pay off debt and find money to create what is important to them. Their relationships with their kids goes from upset and frustrated to satisfying and connected. They tame the chaos in their lives. They find their own personal balance, satisfaction and self-worth.
These transformations don’t happen over night and they usually don’t happen when we try to create these changes by ourselves. Think of Mindset Coaching like learning to play an instrument well or learning to play a sport well. When you learn to play an instrument or to play a new sport, you have a music teacher or a sports coach. They assisted you to see your strengths and your weaknesses. They gave you tools to transform your weaknesses into strengths. That is exactly what a Mindset Coach does with your thinking.
Since everything you want to achieve in your life starts with your thinking, it’s amazing to learn there are Mindset Coaches available to help you master your thinking, so you can take the actions that will create the results you desire anywhere in your business or personal life. Yet there are so many coaches out there, how do you find the coach that is right for you? Here are some guidelines:
- Look for a Mindset Coach that is doing their own personal thought work. Look for a coach that is investing in being coached by another qualified coach. If a coach isn’t doing their own thought work, they won’t be clear or neutral enough to coach you.
- Look for a coach that assists you to find and treat the cause not the symptom. You want a coach that asks the questions that will allow you to find what is causing you to not achieve results and provide you with the tools and training to get the results you want.
- Look for a coach that holds a safe, non-judgmental, confidential space for you to explore your thoughts, feelings and beliefs. You want a coach that stays neutral, non-judgmental and doesn’t react to what you are telling them. You want a coach that teaches you the tools to find your own answers, not a coach that is full of opinions.
- Look for a coach that gives you tools and teaches you how to use them. This way you can continue your thought work after you have completed your time with them.
- Look for a coach that empathizes with you but not your problem. Instead, a quality coach will guide you to find the causes and solutions to your problem.
- Look for a coach that will provide you with a free complimentary or sample session. This way you can try before you buy. You will learn if their coaching style, personality and tools, are a fit for you.
Now that you know what Mindset Coaching is and how to find a coach that is a fit for you, I encourage you to experience Mindset Coaching. Try it out to see if it is a fit for you. You can do this with me by scheduling your free sample coaching session at www.CindysCalendar.com